Pages

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Impact of new CPF rule on dollar cost averaging

Dear Mr. Tan,
From April 1, 2008, CPF requires a member to keep a minimum of $20,000 in the ordinary account. I am surprised to find out that this applies also to existing policies with regular recurring premiums using CPFOA.

Now we have 2 choices:
1. Keep the minimum in OA and use the excess to fund our investments
2. Terminate plans to avoid agent bank charges

I invested my CPF savings by recurring regular premium on dollar cost averging. With the market down, I am now forced to terminate my plan. I have to stop investing even if I am making losses now.

Is this a fair practice to investors? Who regulates CPF Board? Can MAS look into this matter?
What is your opinion?

REPLY

I believe that this is decided at the highest level of Government. There are good reasons for the Government to implement this requirement to keep a minimum of $20,000 in OA.

I agree that the timing is unfortunate, as it deprive you of the chance to average down on your investment. I hope that you can have some other savings to do this averaging down (and not depend on the CPF savings). Wish you all the best.

0 comments:

Post a Comment