Pages

Sunday, March 16, 2008

Negative return from unit trusts

Hi Mr. Tan,
Your website is very useful to improve our financial awareness, especially for people living in Singapore. I visit your blog every day.

I read your article about Investing for the Long Term. I look forward to a Unit Trust that offers quite similar feature as ETF.

Currently, I have invested more than 60% of my savings into several unit trusts since mid 2006. (Details of funds removed). So far, my investment showed a loss of 20%. I consider my investment to be for the long term, and have not made any withdrawal.

Do you have any recommendation what I should do in the midst of current credit mess? Should I invest through a personal advisor from financial institution? I have been approached by an adviser who offers advice for an annual cost wrap of about 1%. Is it worth while?

REPLY
What are the upfront and annual charges of these funds? If you invest in 2006, you should have a period where you made a big gain (i.e. last year) and it should have broken even now, even with the market downturn.

I am surprised that you you have lost 20% of your investment. Perhaps you have invested in the more speculative funds, or the fund charges are too high?-

0 comments:

Post a Comment