Pages

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Excessive charge to repair a damage

Comment posted in my survey.

 My car ran into the parking barrier. Upon inspection only the arm was damaged. We both agreed to it and took photos respectively.  The car park management later sent me a letter asking for 1,571 SGD payment to repair the barrier arm.  The break down was like this:



• Labour to attend to ACCIDENT Case by the contractor $ 150.00
• 3M Magnetic Barrier Arm only $ 650.00
• Barrier arm Aluminium Bracket $ 80.00
• Delivery and installation charges $ 250.00
• Admin Charges 30% $ 339.00
7% GST $ 102.83
Total: $ 1,571.83


I disputed all the charges levied, especially the 30% admin charge that made no sense at all.  I replied them saying i would take responsibility for the accident. But only on reasonable grounds. That barrier arm is simple to install (held on by 4 nuts and bolts), and the market price for it is only around 300 SGD (unbranded).


I advised them to file a claim with the Singapore Courts, and we will appear in court, state our cases and let the judge decide. That was March. I am still waiting to hear from them.

My comment
It is a sad episode when the company wanted to make a profit from an unfortunate event. It would be a nice gesture for them to charge only the direct cost and not seek to recover the labour and admin charges.

0 comments:

Post a Comment