Pages

Friday, February 15, 2008

Make regular savings in a low cost fund

Dear Mr, Tan,
I read your blog everyday as I find there is always something new to learn from the questions posed by your readers. I am interested to buy Term insurance with a critical rider.

My financial advisor has advised me that I should get a whole life policy with critical rider as once my Term policy has expired after 30 years, I could still get a critical illness and by then I would have to bear all the treatments myself. Thus a whole life policy makes sense in this case. He further argued that if I would have accumulated enough savings by then but would I want to use my hard earned money to be spent on treatment or be protected for life.

I prefer to take a Shield plan to cover critical illness, and I could invest the difference in plans to get a higher return. Overall this is more cost effective. Could you
advise?

REPLY
The insurance adviser want people to buy a whole life policy, as he or she can earn a much higher commission.

My advice is to buy a 30 year Decreasing Term insurance policy and invest the difference. After 30 years, you will have more than sufficient savings for your retirement, medical and other needs (but you must have the discipline to set aside the regular savings). Read this FAQ:
http://www.tankinlian.com/faq/savings.html

0 comments:

Post a Comment