Pages

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Unnecessary hassle

Early last year, I overlooked to top up my bank account. This caused all my GIRO payments to be terminated - property tax, income tax, club subscription, maintenance fee, insurance payment etc. DBS Bank did not call to inform me about it. They just cancelled all the GIRO arrangement.

Later, after I topped up the account, the bank was not able to reinstate the GIRO arrangement. I had to fill up the new GIRO forms again.

18 months later, I am still suffering from the effect of that incident. recently, I had to submit a new GIRO form to IRAS for my property tax and they returned it as I had entered the bank account wrongly (so they said). Actually, I entered the 14 digit bank code (including the 4 digit for the bank), and they expect a 10 digit bank code. They returned the form by ordinary mail. I had to enter the details again, and sent it back again by post.

I do not know why, in Singapore, we have procedures that cause so much unnecessary trouble and work. I suspect that this has to do with some instructions from MAS, but possibly it could be the mindless bureaucracy of DBS Bank.

0 comments:

Post a Comment