Pages

Thursday, April 22, 2010

New fare structure for public transport

A new distanced based fare structure is being implemented in Singapore. The aim is to charge the fare based on distance and not on the number of connections. Under the new structure, those who have to make several connections will pay less (compared to the past) and those who had a direct bus will pay more. Those who have to pay more under the new structure complained that the change is unfair to them.

I believe that this change is necessary and will benefit the public in the long run. It will allow the public transport system to be runned in the most efficient manner and for fewer bus routes and (hopefully) more efficient feeder services.

My wish is for feeder services to be cheaper and have shorter waiting and travelling times. I do not mind taking a feeder bus to the train station or bus interchange and to take a long distance bus (with few stops) to reach my destination. I am used to making transfers between bus to train and from train to train. It is acceptable to the majority of commuters who are mobile. (The needs of the elderly and the handicapped may have to be served differently).

I hope that the public will be patient and try to get used to the changes and the new system. I am hopeful that it will be better.

Tan Kin Lian

0 comments:

Post a Comment