Pages

Saturday, February 9, 2013

Educating the public on financial literacy


Hi Mr Tan,
I believe that economic and social problems are to be blamed, not on corporate, government, or the rich, but on people's lack of financial awareness. This problem is not limited to Singapore alone but throughout the entire world. The ignorance allows the well-informed minority to become rich.

Even governments seem to accept and create policies with the attitude that the ignorance cannot be changed, and schools have to start teaching financial education.  

I have a vision of a financially matured society, where people become more aware of the financial system and get out of the economic model we are now trapped in. For that vision, I feel compelled to contribute to that heightening of financial consciousness, in the far or near future. 

I recognize that to go out of our way to improve other people's life takes a lot of determination. Therefore, I want to show my appreciation for what you have done for the society in Singapore. Sometimes, we do not get recognized for what we contribute. I hope to see you continue to push on and do what you do best: educating the public about the concept of money and how to manage them. 

REPLY
My own personal view is that there is little that people like me can do to educate the public.
This is rightly the responsibility of the Government. So far, they have done a bad job, and that is why things continue to be very bad. They are pursuing the wrong strategy and neglecting their responsibility. Nevertheless, I will continue to do what I can.

0 comments:

Post a Comment