Pages

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Dr. Tony Tan's participation in the Presidential Election

Statement by Tan Kin Lian
http://www.easyapps.sg/tklep/Frame.aspx?ID=29


I welcome the decision by Dr. Tony Tan to contest the Presidential Election. His participation will give a wider range of choices for the people of Singapore.

Dr. Tony Tan has been closely connected with the PAP Government for about 20 years. He had served as a cabinet minister in many ministries during his illustrious political career and had been closely associated with many of the policies that were implemented by the Government. He would represent a good choice for Singaporeans who prefer to see continuity in the past and current policies of the Government.

I will participate in the election to offer a different choice to the people. I have never served as a Member of Parliament or a Cabinet Minister in the Government. Over the past years, I have expressed my views on many occasions in the media and through other channels on issues concerning the livelihood and welfare of the people.

I believe that I am in closer touch with the ordinary people in Singapore and can get a better sense of their views and aspirations. I would be able to reflect these aspirations in exercising the powers of the President in safeguarding the assets and the CPF savings and other duties of the office. In particular, I would be able to provide a different perspective and act independently of the Government in the decisions that have to be made by the President. 

In carrying out these duties, I will be guided by my values of honesty, fairness, positive attitude, courage and public service and by the views of the people that I will actively seek.

Tan Kin Lian

0 comments:

Post a Comment